Sources who did not wish to be named have notified OEJ that legislators are receiving numourous calls regarding vouchers: 10:1 in favor of vouchers. We must call our legislators NOW and tomorrow to let them know what the people really think.
If you call your legislator now, you can leave a message with the following information:
- Your name and city
- Whether you’re an educator and/or a parent
- A request to vote NO On vouchers
- Your reason(s) they should vote NO
It’s that simple. And since you’re calling after (or before if you call early in the morning) hours, you don’t have to talk to anyone. The legislator’s staff will tally the calls and whether they are for/against vouchers.
For your information, here are the voucher bills being considered by the legislature, according to the Oklahoma State School Boards Association:
These bills are still alive and needs your continued advocacy in opposition! Please call your legislator and encourage them to oppose the bill!
- Co-authored by Representative Tom Newell, Michael Rogers, Chuck Strohm, Jon Echols, John Paul Jordan, Sally Kern, Elise Hall, David Brumbaugh, Lewis Moore, Dan Fisher, Dennis Johnson and Mark McCullough.
- This bill would allow public dollars to be placed on a debit card for parents to use for private school, homeschool and other education services for their children, at the expense of all public education students.
- For more information on this voucher bill, please contact Shawn Hime, Christy Watson or myself at OSSBA. 405-528-3571 and visit www.esaisnotok.org.
This is another voucher bill that was carried over from last year. On Tuesday, Sen. Jolley filed an amendment to restore title to the bill, which allows to be heard on the Senate floor. It has not been scheduled yet but could be anytime.
We encourage you to call your senator NOW and ask them to VOTE NO! It can be heard at anytime on the Senate floor, so be prepared for an alert on that bill as well.