As the war over new Oklahoma Academic Standards continues, more proponents continue to make their statements clear, including State School Board of Education member retired general Lee Baxter, who lists a progression of reasons to approve the standards:
By Lee Baxter
I am a member of the State Board of Education. I am not known to be reluctant to express my opinion. So I shall.
1. The legislature rejected Common Core in 2014 and directed that we needed OKLAHOMA standards written by OKLAHOMANS for OKLAHOMA children and their parents, and that the OKLAHOMA State Regents for Higher Education certify those standards as preparing our children for college and career.
2. A standards committee was formed naming the very best OKLAHOMA mathematicians and English teachers, the best OKLAHOMA professors, the best OKLAHOMA parents we could find (among scads of applicants). They were rural and urban, from around the entire State.Over a years period of time these OKLAHOMANS wrote the standards in a totally transparent way, with tons of opportunity for public comment. The standards were approved and the OKLAHOMA Regents for Higher Education certified them.
3. Now we have two Senators, Brecheen and Sykes, who declare these OKLAHOMA educators are not smart enough, not capable enough, nor talented enough to do the job. Instead they want the inputs of a Massachusetts/Arkansas arrogant miscreant who admires only her own standards, and the radicalized splinter group called ROPE who have just declared “public education is not worth restoring.” Every teacher in the state should be completely insulted by the actions of these two. Like me, they are Republicans. I am not proud of them. None participated in public comment forums…
4. If I need a plumber, I do not hire an electrician. I hire a plumber. And when I want standards written, I would hire a teacher, an educator… NOT a lawyer or a horse trainer (with apologies to Sykes and Brecheen.). What do they know about math and English standards????? Nothing.
5. I am sure I know the agenda here. These two Senators simply do not want these standards. And why not? Because they both drink from the trough of the former State Superintendent, whose fingerprints are all over their actions.
6. Rep. Jason Nelson also wants these delayed, yet seems much more reasonable and is asking for “tweaks and edits.” Well Jason, pass these now and I promise the SDE and the Board will take up your concerns PROMPTLY.
7. OKLAHOMA School administrators and teachers and parents want these standards NOW. NO more delays. We have produced what we were asked for. “Standards for Oklahomans by Oklahomans.” Does not the legislature have real problems to solve???????
All… please contact your leaders and members in the legislature. MUST BE NOW. This will all be done as early as Monday…